Sunday, January 14, 2018

                My Own Backyard Where Pigs Do Fly!

(Well, Actually, They Just Swing.)

Pinky Likes to Swing in Trees


I'm a traveler. It's in my blood. Last year I logged more miles on airplanes than I did in my car. I've been a lot of places; and I intend to "Keep on Travelin" like my favorite travel guru, Rick Steves, encourages.

No matter where I go, however, there's no place like home. As far as I'm concerned, I live in one of the most beautiful locations on the planet, the Hocking Hills of Southeast Ohio, foothills of the Appalachians. I've lived here for about forty-five years.

The hills are currently covered with ice and snow, the result of a treacherous storm a few nights ago. But, today, the sun is out in full-force creating twinkling tree tops and roof tops and church steeples. Mother Nature has such exquisite taste. She's always full of surprises!

Yes, winter has its gorgeous moments, but since it is dreadfully cold, I thought I would warm-up you folks who are reading this by taking you on a springtime jaunt less than a half mile from my house, to a favorite spot of mine--Chieftain Elementary School's Nature Trail and Preserve. It's practically in my own backyard! 

Chieftain is a delightful, friendly school (my grandchildren are graduates!) made even more special by its adjacent nature trail. Its care is an ongoing project the students share.

I love walking the trail and I do so frequently. Each time I walk it, I see something new.

The design of the trail is quite clever. It is in the shape of the state of Ohio with squiggled edges of stone representing the north and south boundaries of Ohio--Lake Erie to the North and the Ohio River to the South.
  
                                                                 


Visualize the Ohio River

                          Along the trail there are a variety of feeding stations:





I remember seeing the pond before it was cleaned and established into a beautiful focal point in the preserve. Hikers can stand quietly to see and hear the fish jump, listen to the frogs croak among the cattails, and observe dancing Dragon Flies. It's a peaceful experience. Just a few yards from the pond is a nesting ground for Killdeer.




Newest addition, tree planted in honor of retired School Superintendent, Mr. Stern.


Now. . .Back to my Backyard. Visitors from the Nature Trail? Zeke the Cat Should be Excited. But, a Bird in the Paw is Worth Three on the Rail!




                                                        



No comments:

Post a Comment